When we join with others to get a job done what roles can we play to contribute our best effort? Certain points stand out:
- I don’t want to bring my anger or fears to the situation; they’ll be plenty of that from the others.
- I want to listen to what others have to say so I take in all the different points of view, so I understand what the group is thinking.
- When things get chaotic, I can remind everyone our frustrations aren’t getting us anywhere.
- I can lend support to others where my talents apply.
- I can carefully word my constructive criticism so as not to offend others.
- I can remain calm and open when others criticize me and not try and defend my position, instead, letting them know I appreciate their point of view.
Reviewing these points when frustrations set in while dealing with others gets us back on track and makes the experience so much more productive.